Member Followers of the Force
Topic starter

Floundering in the Jol Laxus foundries

Spoiler
Story

Intelligence debrief: Scaoth Assault: Battle of Jol Laxus

Interviewee: Statin, Freedom Fighters pathfinder 

Nimbus Datafile: 1138-23-03

We were chasing the Voice of the Zhra’ad, one of the Scaoth leaders, through Jol Laxus city. A tip-off from some Consortium spy-master led us to one of the giant foundries, where local Ra’uani slaves produced munitions for the Scaoth war machine. 

The foundries, huge mechanical factories, dominated Jol Laxus. When the twin suns shone strongly, the foundries physically cast the small, primitive dwellings of the locals into shadow; more commonly, the towering smokestacks spewed forth fumes that dimmed out those suns.

Our band of Freedom Fighters had managed to eliminate several of the Voice’s elite Grysk guards and had him on the run. The three Talz special forces were especially lethal - I’d heard one of those righteous Starhawk Command stiffs disparage them as some of the most “useless figures”, but, boy, they sure can shoot. Their aim puts stormies to shame!

We were joined by a small group of Mando’ade - Clan Shard if I recognise the markings correctly. In typical fashion, they didn’t say much but I appreciated the extra firepower.

As we progressed through the foundry, it was sickening the see the corporate decals of Uni-Star brazenly on display: the yellow triangle tryptic in plain sight. I guess this far in the Unknown Regions there was no need to hide their duplicity behind shell corporations and bogus subsidiaries.

We’d almost caught up to the Scaoth leader - he seemed to stay one step ahead of us - and burst into a large chamber. The bastard had fled up a twisting metal staircase. Despite the cacophony of machinery, grinding gears, and high pressure steam, I still somehow heard him screaming hysterically. Maybe that’s why they call him the Voice?

Shavit! It was a trap!

From behind the staircase several mad Tof appeared, waving outdated handguns and jagged blades, manic grins on their green faces. From the ceiling rappelled down some ghostly Nagai, black eyes betraying no mercy in their pale faces. 

While I scrambled for cover, the two Mandos exploded upwards in a blur of motion, hoping to catch the Voice before he made another escape. Too slow, a thick blast door slammed into their faces. Still, at least they now had the high ground, and rained blaster fire down on the Tof and Nagai that were charging our position.

After that it all became a blur of flashing durasteel, the acrid scent of discharged blasters, and stifled gurgling cries as lives were snuffed out.

I couldn’t say how long the firefight lasted. It couldn’t have been more than a couple of minutes. We might even have been able to catch back up with the Scaoth; however, in the booming silence after the last blaster shot subsided we heard cries for help: human cries, Wookiee cries - even the high-pitched cries of avian Rishi. It was several dozen of ‘The Missing’ - kidnapped innocents taken across dozens of raids, not least the recent Border Wars. 

Even more horrific was the discovery of a giant vat with a emaciated human suspended it. He looked like... what I can only assume are the many strandcasts we encountered on the streets of the city. Revolting practices. 

The choice was clear: continue pursuing the Scaoth or find a way to free these captives. It was - of course - no choice. 

That’s when I made the call.

“Teera, can you hear me? The Scaoth escaped us. He’s probably made it to his vessel by now. Think you can pick up his trail? After what we’ve found here, this bastard can’t get away!”

Spoiler
Additional photos

Nagai ambushers rappel down from the ceiling.

Tof pirates lie in ambush

A Mandalorian jets upwards to catch The Voice.

The strandcast

The combatants

Scaoth forces: Nagai, The Voice of the Zhra’ad, Tof

Coalition forces: Followers of the Force, Mando'ade, Imperial Consortium

Spoiler
Build notes

I wanted to create that feel from video games where, just as you enter a new area the boss escapes out the back door. I used the winding staircase to create multiple levels curling above the entrance where our heroes - the Followers of the Force and allies - enter the arena.

Statin, the red FF leader, first appeared in my Rishi builds from Episode II. To tie the episodes together, I've also included a Rishi head in one of the glass jars, my take on the Uni-Star logo and colours (afterall, the Scaoth needs to get their munitions from somewhere!). The main villain is designed by Sam, and as a nod to use of the King Kanuka mask from the Islander series, I have also included graffiti of the same mask using an Islander sail.

Spoiler
Post-prize deadline epilogue

I could barely hear myself think as the prisoners crowded around us, clamouring to be taken home. Provided the rest of the coalition forces did enough to win the day, it was clear how we were going to have to spend the next weeks - if not months. The refugee crisis looked set to get even worse.

We managed to release the poor human from the tank. I thought he was a strandcast but up front and personal - smell and all - he was clearly something different. He didn't know - or wouldn't say - who he was. The only clue was the opalescent clam necklace he wore. It had a small engraving that may give a clue as to his origins...

I hope you enjoyed!

Followers of the Force
New Jedi Order
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eyrezer/

Posted : 01/04/2023 3:48 am
Captain Havok
(@captain-havok)

I love how every surface is jam packed with detail. You also managed to fill it with minifigs without making it look overly crowded. Nice job!

Crim Empire | Faction Leader

Posted : 03/04/2023 11:23 am
Eyrezer
(@eyrezer)
Topic starter

@captain-havok thanks Joe! That means a lot. Real balancing act between too much and just right 😅

Followers of the Force
New Jedi Order
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eyrezer/

Posted : 04/04/2023 9:19 am
(@cyrusbuilds)

Great job! I absolutely get the feel of the video game experience.

Posted : 05/04/2023 7:57 pm
Count_creations
(@jedi-count)
Player Followers of the Force

Very nice build, love the composition and feel.

Posted : 08/04/2023 9:48 am
Eyrezer reacted
(@rocketboy)
Honorable Member Admin Followers of the Force

Great work on this one. It really is so tricky with something like this, with so many different elements, to marry them all without it feeling messy. I think you 90% pulled it off. One little change I'm seeing now is that removing the black guardrails might have helped it read just a tiny bit more clearly, and leave a little more room for the eye to rest. (Eyerester. hehehe)
Love all the thought put into the details, the UniStar references, and the figs.

Leader of the New Jedi Order | SWFactions GM

Posted : 12/04/2023 3:18 pm
Spud The Viking
(@spud-the-viking)
Member Pentastar Alignment

This entry has earned 23 XP

Leader of The Pentastar Alignment | GM

Posted : 24/04/2023 1:06 pm